This simple to prep dinner, is a great use for round steak, also known as cube steak. While this cut of beef can be notoriously tough after cooking, this recipe always turns out tender and tasty! This entree is delicious served over mashed potatoes, egg noodles, or spaghetti squash.
- 1-2 pounds round steak
- 1/2 cup lard, tallow, or oil
- 1 cup flour of your choice
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated or dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups beef stock or bone broth
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. (I prefer to use lard or tallow for a deeper flavor and less waste.)
2. Mix all dry ingredients in a pie plate or shallow bowl.
3. Save 1/4 cup of the flour mixture for the gravy. 4. Dredge round steaks in the flour mixture.
5. Fry floured round steaks in the oil for 4-5 minutes per side until they are nice and browned.
6. Arrange browned round steaks in a baking dish.
7. Add reserved flour mixture to the beef broth, and whisk until completely smooth.
8. Pour gravy mixture over the round steaks. The mixture will be thin, but will thicken while baking.9. Cover with foil, and bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until round steaks are tender and gravy has thickened.
10. Serve over your choice of egg noodles, potatoes, or squash with a delicious fresh vegetable on the side!