By saving the giblets, neck, and chicken bones from this recipe, you can use your scraps to prepare a hearty chicken stock- a perfect addition to future soups and stews!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 pound baby carrots or sliced carrots
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut
- 1 pound quartered red potatoes
- 1 large roughly chopped onion
- 1 bundle each of fresh rosemary and thyme
- olive oil
- 5-10 peeled garlic cloves
- Place the remaining onion, garlic, parsnips, potatoes, and carrots in the bottom of a dutch oven or lidded oven-safe pot, and toss with a drizzle of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and nestle it on top of the veggies in the pot.
- Arrange the remaining thyme and rosemary around the chicken to flavor the veggies, put the lid on, and place in a 425-degree oven for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid, and continue to bake uncovered for 30-45 minutes, or until the skin is browned and the juices run clear.
- Remove from the oven, replace the lid, and let the whole pot rest for 20 minutes for a succulent chicken feast!
Recipe by Kate Jones